Rado was born as the Schlup & Co. watchmaking company in 1917. By the end of World War II, they had become among the largest producers of watch movements in the world. The Rado name emerged in 1957 with the Golden Horse collection. Over the years, Rado developed a reputation for using hard metal and bringing sapphire crystals into the watchmaking landscape. In fact, in 1986, it was Rado that was responsible for giving the Swiss watch industry its first instance of a scratch resistant bracelet in high-tech ceramic. It is the company’s know-how in the use of ceramic that truly sets them apart. Today, Rado is having great success reintroducing many of their vintage watch designs in a modern way, with lines such as the Captain Cook.